Saturday, March 25, 2006

Never ask for directions from a sane man

I need to sort my visa out - now! so I get up early and head out - stop at starbucks and print out the forms, fill them in and look for a post office.- there are so many freaks here, it rivals adelaide. I look for the sanest looking person - a youngish guy in a beanie and cargos, only one head - nothing scary about him... erm...

I ask for directions - "straight up and take a left on Hollywood" - "I'm 'going your way". I follow him toward the street as he makes small talk - where are you from etc. The more he talks - the bigger I make the gap between us - I was wise to do this as he kindly informs me that he lives just up the road and "you can come and have a lay down... watch TV - what do you say?" - Nice.

I tell him to give me his address and I will be sure to come over later - he actually takes the bait and pisses off, a spring in his step... and a sprint in mine.

Today turns out to be a great day, I catch up with greg for lunch and we have the most 'chipper' waiter in the whole of L.A. - its so hard not to like him, I've never met a waiter that tries so hard bless him. He even replaces our cokes when they are half empty because 'the bubbles have all gone'. Every time he passes the table, he comments on the food we have eaten with a "well, you gone and got the best bits don't ya!" - we leave a good tip.

I head to the festival to see a documentary by a guy I met yesterday - El immigrante - its the first film of the whole festival.. its the middle of the day... its... empty. The poor bastard is sitting in an empty theatre and I am the audience - he looks distraught. During the film another 25 people come in. Its a shame, as its a great doco, focussing on the mexican border patrols, and a young mexican boy who was gunned down by a civilian who thought he was 'doing his duty'. Its heart wrenching, well edited and shows how backward some of america really is.

Down the road I score some advance screenings for The Fountain as I lie about not being in the film industry to get them (how she never noticed my silver lake film festival pass around my neck I will never know - "look in the eyes, not around the eyes... and... you're back in the room" worked nicely).

As I wander past the VIrgin store - a sign announces that Gomez are playing inside. I whip in to find that one of the best bands in the world are playing acoustic at the back of the store, and there are 30 people there!!! Its incredible - one of my favourite bands and it feels like a private performance - they are funny, great live and have amazing voices - what a night!

I head off to the first short film section screenings - luckily there are more people this time, the screening is pretty full and I get to see what is on offer. The first film is a travesty - performance art and bad poetry (its not looking good) - but they do have a voice over by Dennis Hopper so that explains a lot. The next few films fare slightly better but not great. Then a great run with a few really good quality films to finish - its a mixed bag but interesting.

Wandering back I wonder how the screening will go tomorrow, there are only 5 international films so the US contingent is very prevalent, could be a hard sell. I get back through my hotel door (checking that dear old 'crackie' from last night doesn't need to bunk up again) - and turn in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home