Dude looks like a lady...
Slept in this morning and had to run to kinkos to get some flyers made up - all the films have truckloads of flyers and we are getting a little dwarfed... I've realised that my accent is a magnet for freaks and eccentrics. As I stand at the counter talking to the service girl - I'm approached by a 6ft african american transexual (that's too long - lets abbreviate to Sh-he) - what do I do? Where am I from? Sh-he informs me that sh-he is 'J.von Shay', a well known fashion icon and pageant party organiser - they need one more judge for the fashion show next week and would love a visiting film director to be there - would I be interested - in fact, sh-he insists as my arm is grasped by fake nails and hairy knuckles.
I feel like there is a mardis gras sponsored by KFC - and I am looking like a chicken drumstick. I weigh up the odds - could be good for business if there are industry types there so I entertain sh-him that I'll think about it...
I leave before sh-he thinks that things are going to get finger lickin' good...
Off to the screening and as I walk in, I am met by my worst case scenario - there are roughly ten people here to see the shorts. F**k it... I sit down and wonder what in the hell I am doing here - ten minutes to go. I consider leaving and watching a 'real' movie instead - but then, as if a by magic, a caravan of people come through the door with barely minutes to go - literally filling the cinema. It seems that this is the way of the audience - the last minute works. As the lights go down the theatre is at capacity...
The films are screened - and we are in a good group. There are a couple of corkers but I am waiting for ours and chris' film. The set continues and its looking like we will be the last 2 - then before our one, we get a stop-motion claymation that lasts 20 MINUTES!!! Its way too long, too silent, and too long and also too long I - the audience drops by 10% - I want wallace and gromit to come out and kick the shit out of this clay character. The film finishes but the audience feel like they need a sponge-bath - I don't think they know what they are in for. Brother begins and I wonder if this will tip them over the edge - I should have made a gag film... but its great - the audience responds really well - the lady next to me is crying into a hanky - mission accomplished (or was she just informed that more stop-motion was in store?).
I get off lightly as the lights go up... wait a minute - chris' film has not played - poor bastard, the projectionist made a mistake and pulled the reel before playing his film. The audience that remain seated have to wait 20 minutes for them to fix the problem. The film plays - and its fantastic - the best comedy short I have ever seen, so at least he is vindicated... There is a Q&A after but no one really wants to speak (Question: how come cinema audiences talk through movies but remain silent at Q&A's ? hmm...)
All in all a good screening, that night we head off to a party at the local art gallery - It's very 'arty'.
I feel like there is a mardis gras sponsored by KFC - and I am looking like a chicken drumstick. I weigh up the odds - could be good for business if there are industry types there so I entertain sh-him that I'll think about it...
I leave before sh-he thinks that things are going to get finger lickin' good...
Off to the screening and as I walk in, I am met by my worst case scenario - there are roughly ten people here to see the shorts. F**k it... I sit down and wonder what in the hell I am doing here - ten minutes to go. I consider leaving and watching a 'real' movie instead - but then, as if a by magic, a caravan of people come through the door with barely minutes to go - literally filling the cinema. It seems that this is the way of the audience - the last minute works. As the lights go down the theatre is at capacity...
The films are screened - and we are in a good group. There are a couple of corkers but I am waiting for ours and chris' film. The set continues and its looking like we will be the last 2 - then before our one, we get a stop-motion claymation that lasts 20 MINUTES!!! Its way too long, too silent, and too long and also too long I - the audience drops by 10% - I want wallace and gromit to come out and kick the shit out of this clay character. The film finishes but the audience feel like they need a sponge-bath - I don't think they know what they are in for. Brother begins and I wonder if this will tip them over the edge - I should have made a gag film... but its great - the audience responds really well - the lady next to me is crying into a hanky - mission accomplished (or was she just informed that more stop-motion was in store?).
I get off lightly as the lights go up... wait a minute - chris' film has not played - poor bastard, the projectionist made a mistake and pulled the reel before playing his film. The audience that remain seated have to wait 20 minutes for them to fix the problem. The film plays - and its fantastic - the best comedy short I have ever seen, so at least he is vindicated... There is a Q&A after but no one really wants to speak (Question: how come cinema audiences talk through movies but remain silent at Q&A's ? hmm...)
All in all a good screening, that night we head off to a party at the local art gallery - It's very 'arty'.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home